Why Lead by Example Tae Kwon Do?
Ratings and Reviews
Thanks to all of our parents and students who took the time to give us some great ratings and reviews:
A Great Referral!
Truly outstanding place. We were referred by a neighbor, have referred another neighbor, and that neighbor in turn has referred another neighbor. This is all within just a few months. Both of the Lightfoots are exceptional with children and the entire faculty (including student faculty) are consistently welcoming, patient, and firm. This is a great studio especially for younger children.
by Dmitri 07/14/2010
Two Blackbelts Sons
"I have two sons who have earned their black belts at the Fairfax studio. While they both excelled in the physical requirements of TKD under Master Lightfoots' tutelage, they benefited more from teh core message in the methods: Leadership means being the first to set the example in effort and attitude, both inside of the studio as well as outside. This very simple yet important messsage is reinforced constantly and after only a few months my sons understood that this was a minimum expectation. The training is excellent, the studio culture is better!"
M. Holloway on June 28, 2010
A fun place to learn TKD
My son, Cameron, has been attending this school for a little over one month now and I have been so pleased. He is 4yrs. old and Master Lightfoot and his wife are amazing in their interactions with the children. They make Tae Kwon Do fun while teaching them kicks and punches. I'm always concerned that some teachers might not be as patient the smaller the children are, but they know how to break the art down to it's most elementary level so the children understand. In addition to building skill with high fives and smiles, the instructors also include a small "mat chat" in each class. This is where all the students sit around the teacher on the floor in the "smart position" (indian style) and they reinforce life lessons like believing in yourself, when to use the art, etc. I would right more, but I'm going to run out of space. In short, and don't them this, but for the lessons they teach I would pay even more.....shhhh!
by Cameron's Mom 04/29/2010
Magnificent program and staff!
"I started my son in the LBE Fair Oaks studio 2 yrs ago through the Fairfax County Park Takes 10 class session. He was 4 and a half. I took him on and off between soccer and T-ball to make sure he enjoyed & picked a sport that he liked. I enrolled him as a full time student in the Fall of 2009 (now almost 6) and it was the BEST decision I ever made. He has learned & matured so much in the last 4 months as I take him consistently. He listens & respects and follows direction. The LBE family values are impressive. This is a family business & the whole family is involved in teaching all the students: including their own children. Their example to the students on how team work and working together can accomplish so many powerful goals is impressive. It's not about fighting or moving fast up to the next belt level, they teach and instill everyday values we all need; its about Responsibility, Confidence, Honor, Defense & most importantly how to Lead by Example! I love this program; you and your child will too!"
D. Gobaira of Fairfax, VA on March 02, 2010
"Lead By Example Tae Kwon Do at Fair Oaks has helped my child's confidence and focus. The instructors are patient with children with a variety of learning curves in this martial arts. My child has formed friendships with other students. The school makes you truly earn your advancements in belt level, which gives the students alot of pride in themselves."
L.Leggott of Oakton, VA on February 28, 2010
"Fantastic tae kwon do instruction. Dedicated, motivating teaching staff that are accessible and professional. My kids love attending here, and are learning alot about TKD and themselves."
Dale of Great Falls, VA on January 05, 2010
LBE in Great Falls is GREAT!
"My son has been going to LBE TKD in Great Falls for a few months now and I cannot say enough good things about them. Mr. Andrew is absolutely fantastic with the kids. He keeps strict control of the class, but is never overbearing. He teaches life lessons they can understand as well as proper TKD technique. My son has really gotten a lot out of it, and is excited to continue. I highly recommend LBE TKD! You won't regret it!"
Chuck of Great Falls, VA on December 04, 2009
An all around Outstanding School
My son and I have been a member of this school for around 7 years now and their program is excellent. From patience with white belts through extraordinary drills for the black belts. The program's control oriented teaching allows for fun and challenging sparring matches. Great Stuff!
by Michelle 09/26/2009
"My son started TKD at this school through a Fairfax County Parks class. I was impressed by the quality of the teaching from the very beginning, especially with the emphasis on effort and personal improvement rather than competition. I watched my very high-energy six-year-old learn to focus and listen and work hard. He was always excited about learning new forms and took pride in his accomplishments at each belt level. He is now nearly nine years old and a brown belt His teachers at school and coaches in other sports often remark that he always gives 100%. I believe that this is an attitude that was nurtured at LBETKD Fair Oaks and is exemplified by all the teachers there."
S. King of Chantilly, VA on July 17, 2009
A good place for Tae Kwon Do
"This is one of the better Tae Kwon Do places Iíve been to. Itís well organized and has plenty of instructors. Each week it has classes on one part of Tae Kwon Do: Forms, Basics, and Sparring, and it rotates through week by week. This allows the classes to be very focused, unlike other Tae Kwon Do places where you might get 10 min of sparring in at the end of a class. At LBE you get at least 30 min of sparring in each class durring Sparring week. More importantly, Master Lightfoot speaks perfect English and he obviously enjoys his work. Iíve had instructors who, while they knew martial arts, really didnít like teaching. A class becomes fun when the instructor is having fun teaching you."
W. Lancaster of Oakton, VA on October 18, 2008
We're proud to present testimonials provided by some of our students. Some of the messages you'll see below are excerpts from the speeches that our Black Belt graduates give upon achieving Black Belt.
- What Being a Black Belt Means to Me by Thomas Lynch, 3rd Dan
- What Lead By Example Tae Kwon Do has Done for Me by Mary Ann Latko Groetsema, 1st Dan
- What Being a Black Belt Means to Me by Wendall Beane, 1st Dan
- What Lead By Example Tae Kwon Do Has Done for Me by Justin Sugatan, 1st Dan
- What Tae Kwon Do Has Done For Me by Ryan Holcombe, 1st Dan
- What Tae Kwon Do Has Done For Me by Annika Lee, 1st Dan
- Back Pain no More by John Van Weeren, 1st Dan
- Incredible Weight Loss Results by Jamie Bowden, 1st Dan
Thank you for your interest in Lead By Example Tae Kwon Do. We have developed our special program to provide you with the following benefits:
- The emphasis of Lead By Example Tae Kwon Do is establishing DISCIPLINE in your child through the fundamental Martial Arts training principles of ATTENTION and RESPECT. Both Attention (standing perfectly upright and still while listening to the instructor) and Respect (bowing to all higher ranking students and instructors and addressing them as Sir/Ma'am) are developed through mental focus and physiology.
- Lead By Example Tae Kwon Do builds CONFIDENCE and CHARACTER by providing you with the ability to control your body, to stand up to negative peer pressure, and other intimidating situations.
- The movements involved in the Lead By Example curriculum develop muscle and hand-eye COORDINATION and increase STRENGTH and FLEXIBILITY, which is very important. Our Martial Arts Ballet training, the display of Martial Arts forms and techniques to music, also develops CONCENTRATION and TIMING.
- The awarding of the higher levels of Tae Kwon Do belts provides you with a sense of ACHIEVEMENT and ACCOMPLISHMENT. The importance of this is that it develops the principle of GOAL SETTING. We work on not just the immediate, but also the short term, and long term goals, which you will be able to apply to other areas in life as well as carry these principles with you into the future.
- Lead By Example Tae Kwon Do also involves free-style competition (sparring). This helps to develop a sense of SPORTSMANSHIP in a controlled and competitive situation. Students also play some games in class that work on their interactive skills as well as provide an outlet to show good sportsmanship (i.e. winning and losing with a good attitude).
- The foundation of Lead By Example Tae Kwon Do is its SELF-DEFENSE value. We are very careful to teach students that Tae Kwon Do is not to be used outside the studio in any manner other than true self-defense. The result is a self-confident student, who does not need to bully or show-off to others.
- Most importantly, Lead By Example Tae Kwon Do is GOOD, CLEAN FUN! You will meet many new friends, participate in fun-filled activities, and burn-off that extra energy.
Please feel free to call us if you have any questions or if you would like more specific information on one of our programs. We strongly believe in the value of our programs for ALL AGES, but especially for the young, who can gain PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT as they grow with us through their precious childhood years and for the rest of their lives.